Blog Archive

Sunday, June 7, 2020

New Battle Companies-my take on Fiefdoms and the Southron Empire

It’s been a long time since I first read Lord of the Rings and I have read it many times since. I can remember back in the 70’s discussing it with a friend who told me that film technology was developing at an amazing rate and in the future it would be possible to use computer generated art to reproduce Tolkien’s world and how he couldn’t wait to see it on the screen. I told him that however good it was it could never be as good as the world your imagination conceives.

And so it was, that many years later that prediction came true. I like the films, mostly. He was right, my friend, they look amazing, I was right too, it’s not what I saw in my mind’s eye when first I read the books. Tolkien is a master of suggestion. He rarely provides a full description of armour, weapons or apparel, but allows the reader to fill in the details so that we each of us hold our own vision of his world.

As I have become more familiar with the tale, over the years, the parts that intrigue me most are the ones where we get a little glimpse of tales untold or of places and peoples that are touched upon but never fully explained.

The Fiefdoms and Harad are cases in point. I have never really liked GW/Weta/ PJ take on either of them and so I have created my own version of both which I have described in detail, with profiles, in previous blogs.

Now I have produced a Battle Companies version of each.




Fiefdoms Battle Company
Starting Battle Company
1 x Warrior of Lamedon @ 7 points
1 x axeman of Lossarnoch@8 points
1 x archer of Morthond@ 8 points
1 x warrior of Ringlo Vale @ 7 points
2 x men at arms of Dol Amroth@11points
total =52 points
 
Advancements
Warrior of Lamedon -Rider of Lamedon
Man-at-arms of Dol Amroth-Knight of Dol Amroth
Warrior of Ringlo Vale - Hearth guard +1 defence+ 1 fight
Axeman of Lossarnoch- Fornoth’s Hearth guard +1 defence +1 courage
 
Reinforcements
1= nothing
2=Warrior of Ringlo Vale or Warrior of Lamedon
3=Warrior of Lamedon with throwing spear or Axeman of Lossarnoch
4= Archer of Morthond
5=Man at Arms of Dol Amroth
6=special
 
Special Table
1,2= Black Root Vale Ranger as archer of Morthond with shoot value 3+, fight value 4
3,4= Rider of Lamedon Hearth guard +1 defence + 1 fight
5,6= Household Knight of Dol Amroth Imrahil’s household +1 strength
 
Army specific upgrade
For Gondor! +1 fight value when charging applies only to the first round

 The theme for the Fiefdoms is early medieval/Dark Ages. Hearth guard and household troops have better weapons, chain mail instead of leather armour and better training. I have yet to create figures for the Hearthguard and Household figures, my next project! I am using North Star Rangers of the Shadow deep for the Morthond rangers and converting some Gripping Beast Saxon Thegns and some Victrix Vikings for the hearth guard of Lamedon and Lossarnoch, Victrix Gallic cavalry for the Household Riders of Lamedon.




Empire Battle Company

Starting Battle Company
1 x Haradrim with spear and shield @9 points
1 x Haradrim with composite bow@9 points
1 x Easterling with axe and shield @ 9 points
1 x Easterling with 2-handed axe@9points
2 x Jakhala @ 7 points each
50 points total 
 
Advancements
Jakhala-Variag
Haradrim -Noble cavalry
 
Reinforcements
1=nothing
2=Jakhala
3=Haradrim with choice of weapon
4=Easterling with choice of weapon
5= Mumakrim may be equipped with any weapon
6=roll on special table
 
Special table
1,2=Variag
3,4=Noble cavalry
5,6=Ubhadi (rare 2) cannot gain experience, cannot become a hero
 
Army specific upgrade Master of Poisons reroll any failed to wound roll
 
 Mercenary Assassin 12 influence Value 80 points
I am going to playtest these Battle Companies in a league format with Battle Companies from Minas Tirith and Mordor as opponents/allies






No comments:

Post a Comment