Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Conscripting the Dead!

 

Revenants for Silver Bayonet

I have long been a fan of Joseph McCullough’s games. My daughter’s, despite a life long resistance to playing any other RPG, Skirmish or war game jumped straight into Rangers of Shadow Deep. I quite like Frostgrave too. When I heard Joe was writing Silver Bayonet, I knew I would have to get it. Napoleonics and horror, what’s not to like?

As it turns out it’s an excellent game. A skirmish game where characters develop with experience and players fight not only their opponent but the game itself. The mechanics seem to be less swingy than in either Rangers or Frostgrave but the risk is still there. I will write a more complete review of the game in another post.

One of the monster types featued in Silver Bayonet is the revenant. These recently departed newly arisen zombie types are a result of the many battles across Eurpoe in this period , the dead of which were often left to rot for many years afterwards. The reason they are coming back to life is due to mysterious creatures from a another dimension , the Harvestmen, who are attracted to this time and place by those very heaps of corpses

I started creating figures before I actually got the rules! I felt inspired by the idea of the Revenants and kit-bashed a dozen. I don’t have any 28mm Napoleonic figures so I trawled E-Bay for sprues. I soon collected a pile of Perry Miniatures French Infantry sprues, one each of the battalion, the Elite companies, the Command sprue, one British Infantry and one Wargames Atlantic Skeleton Warriors. I used spare parts from North Stars Undead Encounters, Fireforge’s Living Dead Peasants and various others. I wanted my revenants to be the dead from a battle fought a year or two previously, well-rotted and a mix of both sides, united in death and their hatred of living things


   The (soul?) sapper! He has a head for these things! The face is from Undead Encounters, the beheaded head is from Victrix Celtic Cavalry. Everything else is Perry

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 Keep an eye out for crows!

    Fireforge head! North Star arm and more Perry!

   The face is painted in Army Painter dungeon grey, lightened with a mix of Dungeon Grey and Golem Grey, finished with a highlight of pure Golem then washed with Citadel Coelia and glazed with Citadel Camoshade

 

 

 

 

 


Sore head

  The head is Fireforge painted in Khaki Brown and washed with Camoshade Highlighted with increasing amounts of Citadel Ushbati Bone


 He has a splitting head ache!

Citadel Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust Citadel technical paints are used for the rust.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Raising the Standard!

Flag is old “raggy” newspaper, cut to shape after fixing with PVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

That’s another Fireforge head and probably my favourite! Looks like a still from the Mask

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two Gun Pierre

   The head is again Fireforge. I used a pin vice to drill holes in trousers and tunics and painted a dark red/brown which I used gloss varnish on to give impression of old congealed blood

 

 

 

 

 


Information about French standards from the Napoleonic wars can be found here

https://tmg110.tripod.com/frarmy3.htm

 

 

 

 


 

Keepin’ the beat

This one was fun!  WA skeleton skull and arms, Perry drummer hands painted to resemble bone


 

 

 

 

 

 


 Reaching Out

Liberte, Egalite, Braaaaaaains

 Citadel Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust, used sparingly for rust effects and Vallejo Flat Earth mixed with glaze medium for the dirty trouser effect

 

 

 

 

 

 


 Life's a drag

I liked the stance of this guy, I could just picture him enjoying his coffin nail 







Doesn't he know those things are bad for your health?

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Raising a Smile

That’s a WA skeleton leg and skull

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 
Vive  l’Empereur!

This blogpost is based on an article that recently appeared in the Quick Fire section of Wragames Illustrated no 411
















 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Really wonderful miniature work here. I really love the last model with his skeletal head in his hand. Just started to read Silver bayonet after getting a copy from BIG. looking forward to playing the game at some point. Looks like a really wonderful game and I love the feel and look of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mark, looking forward to finally meeting up at BIG

      Delete
  2. Love them in all their icky gloriousness!

    ReplyDelete