Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Kitbashing the Rohirrim Part 2 The Muster of Rohan!

Ride! Ride for ...Hey waitup!


 When it comes to picking figures for the Rohirrim there are quite a few options. I was intrigued by the Gripping Beast Goths and Victrix Gallic cavalry. I had already decided that I didn’t want a Norman look, those heavy hauberks, helms and kite shaped shield just don’t feel like the right fit to me. I have always imagined the Rohirrim as a true “horse people” somehow wilder, less civilised, nearer to nature.

 The Goths look a little near the classic Dark Age mail, upper arms covered, there’s not a lot to distinguish them from other Dark Age types such as the Anglo-Saxon thegns. Also, I have quite a lot of Gripping Beast horses in my forces and these have the same design.

I liked the look of the mail with the Gallic cavalry, those over the shoulder flaps, kinda Roman legionary style, look strikingly different to the sleeved hauberk of the early medieval period and I like different!

SO, Victrix Gallic cavalry it is then. And they are the usual high standard you expect from this firm finely detailed, proportionate sized weapons (a little delicate), a wide range of weapons and, my favourite aspect, a lot of spare heads.

 I decided to use the Gallic bodies with Victrix Viking and GB Thegn heads for the Riders but I wanted a different look for the Kings Riders the Royal Guard. For these guys I used the legs of Gripping beast Arab Cavalry, simply because I have them, any “mounted” legs would have served, with the torso of Victrix Vikings and GB Thegns.  Heads will be which ever look the most suitable, preferably with braids.



       

 GB horse. I cut the knot from the tail  and the small hanging straps from the harness

 I built the tail up with green stuff to     create the flowing style.

 

 

 

 

I used green stuff to create the horsey helm piece. I like this guy, he’s blowing a horn, very Rohan. He’s been excused from wearing long beard and braids as they tend to hamper his horn blowing duties!

I expect the others will be singing!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



I imagine these guys ride up close, throw a spear then charge in when the opportunity presents. This head is Victrix Viking, chosen for its beard braid
 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Another braided Viking head. I will add a green stuff horse hair crest/plume later when this lot has set hard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

The Royal Guard. Top of the torso is from GB Viking, legs are Arab cavalry. Green Stuff extends the mail down over the legs. I made a bit of a cock of this on most of ‘em, this one doesn’t look too bad but I found a much better way of sculpting mail as I went on and only one of the figures benefitted from it.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

I thought it would be nice to have a leader figure for the Royal Guard so I found an appropriate head, I generally have my leaders bare headed, and created this guy. Then I had a bit of a think…who led the Kings Guard? I couldn’t remember.

Théoden led them in the charges at Pelennor and at the Hornburg, Theoden IS the King, who else would lead them?

Ok so I need Theoden, now this guy looks ok as a captain but he’s no Theoden! No long thick hair, no great braids, no beard “laid like snow upon his knees”

So...off with his head!

 


 

These were the heads with most braided beards. The hairpiece at the back is for a Victrix Viking, there is one on each sprue and I thought I might cut them up and use them.

I liked the one on the left, very grim, charging kingly expression I thought, but…he’s bald.

Time for some surgery

 

 

 


 

In the world of converting plastics figures, the razor saw is an essential piece of kit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Neuro surgery-it’s not rocket science!

 

 

 

 

                                             

 

 

 


 

When the barber cuts your hair too short and you look with alarm at yourself in the mirror but thank him and pay anyway

But what now?

I remembered that my wife bought me Perry Wars of the Roses figures for Christmas and that in the Men at Arms command sprue there was a Richard III crowned helm

 

 

 

 


One quick Royal execution (with razor saw) and it’s long Live The King!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Remember the braided hairpiece? I had to cut them into small bunches and then shave the ends to make them fit and then use a blob of green stuff to hide all the sins

 

Now he needs a mount. A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a…must be that helmet!

Next Snowmane…and more singing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Some great conversion work, particularly like the King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work there - a very unique and individual take on the horse lords. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I really appreciate your comment because that's exactly what I am aiming for! I keep trrying to recreate what I see in my mind's eye when I read the books. It's hard to keep the film imagery from clouding your imagination

    ReplyDelete