Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Edward IV-A 15th Century Terminator?


An uncanny resemblance explained! 

The likeness is chilling!

We can’t be certain of all the facts 500 years after the event so it’s hard to know why Cyberdyne Systems chose to send a Terminator T 800 back to 1461. It may have been the failure to exterminate Sarah Connor in 1984 that led to a quest to eradicate the genes of her much earlier ancestor, Margaret of Anjou. Whatever the reason, this Terminator stole the surcoat and armour of Edward Plantagenet, Earl of March and wreaked havoc on the medieval battle fields of Olde England until, its power unit failed in 1483.

 At least that would be one explanation for this gigantic, fearless, seemingly unharmable, unstoppable, invincible killer King, who was always at the centre of the action and in the thick of the melee.

In a world of treachery, incompetence and vitriolic hatred, Edward stands literally and figuratively, head and shoulders above his peers. As a commander he was “the best general of strategy in Europe in the 15th century” according to Andrew Boardman in his book The Medieval Soldier in the Wars of the Roses. Tactically he was aggressive, confident, a natural leader, the victor of a dozen battles, the supreme battlefield general of the Wars of the Roses.

 He demonstrated a cool initiative and as he showed at Mortimers Cross he was an opportunist with the ability and speed of thought to turn an adverse occurrence to his advantage.

Parhelion or Sun Dogs- the famous “triple sun” at Mortimers Cross. To the medieval mind this was a sign from God.  Of course, it is easy to offer a scientific explanation nowadays, it was obviously the entry flare from the arrival of the T 800!

 https://youtu.be/NrZueJeFVz8

 

 

 

 

 

Magnanimous in victory, he tried, perhaps too hard, to forgive his enemies in order to reach a peaceful solution.

The perfect wargames general and all-round hero for this era then, so how to represent him on the table?

Perry do a metal miniature for Edward IV, as far as Google search can tell this is the only commercially available miniature for him. And its …ok. To my eyes he’s not tall enough. It’s hard to tell in the images I have seen, he may be modelled as being bigger but has flexed knees so it’s hard to be sure. I want my Ed to stand out as the giant he was.

 I started my search by asking on the Billhooks FB group and all my various contacts if anyone knew of a figure in 30 -32 mm that would be suitable. I searched on line catalogues of 30-32 mm manufacturers but, like Bono, I still could not find what I was looking for.

So, a kit bash then! A plastic figure made taller by cutting and extending legs and torso .Perry plastic Foot Knights seems the obvious choice to provide the model. Let’s have look at them.


 

There six bodies to choose from. Of these two, second and sixth from left, are immediate favourites as they have surcoats. I am thinking of cutting them just above the belt line and surcoats will surely be easier to model than the ultra-smooth plate armour, right?

The second and third from the left appear tallest in their posture but the third one has straight legs and will probably be easier to extend than the second one.

Third one it is then.


 

“Malmsey sire? I think not, I am already legless”

  The cruellest cut! I use a razor saw for most cuts although these legs are thin enough to use a sharp bladed modelling knife

 


 

Essential kit! Pin vice, cyanoacrylate super glue and brass wire (0.8mm in this instance)

 

 

 

 



Hip replacement surgery

 

 

 

 


how tall is too tall? The maths bit.

  28mm figures are approximately 1:56 scale although it is given variously at anything from 1:54 – 1:64, so some latitude there I believe. The real debate around the size v scale arguement is more about where the height is measured to and from. Most manufacturers apparently measure from sole of foot to eye line as many figures wear helmets it is therefore difficult to say where is the top of the head.

  If we accept that the average height of a man in 15th century England was 68 inches -170cm (Google search) then to find the scale divide the height of the man (1700mmm) by the height of the figure(28mm) we get 1:60 which is a nice round number and one that I am happy to use.

 


Edward IV was very tall! This we know from all contemporary accounts and his height has given as being anywhere between six foot three and six foot five. He was exhumed in 1789 and his skeleton was measured at six feet three- and three-quarter inches which may or may not be accurate. One thing is for sure-he was tall!

  So, if he was 6’4” that would be 190 cm which at 1:60 = 31 .666 mm. I am not sure I can be that accurate with my modelling! So, I will round up to 32 mm. We can allow a bit for his helmet I will be happy if the finished figure is 34mm or so tall.

  I shorten his hip replacements slightly

 


Of course none of this really matters as long as he appears taller than his comrades but not ridiculously so

  Comparing him to a non-adjusted figure will help the process.

   Perspective and posture are important too, I don’t want to make his arms look proportionately shorter by stretching him too much.




Comparing the original figure will give a better idea of height

 

 

 

 

 


 

Grim visag’d face of war! I wanted to make this figure notably different from the other Perry figures and so I looked at some faces from North Star Miniatures Frostgrave heads

  I plan to do a face lift onto a Perry helmeted head

   I liked the shouty guy on the far left but while I was cutting his face off it leapt away from the knife far across the room and has not been seen since.

  Which leaves the Schwarzenegger looking guy in the middle

 


Face Off! A razor saw and a firm grip for the helmet

   For the face, the knife, with a very sharp new blade

 

 

 


 

Both the face and the helmet required a little trim to get a good fit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comparing to the original model, back-to-back like we did as kids! I think this about right


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 some green stuff and his head is on

 

   I set the head at a slight angle as I usually do. This simple trick helps to animate the figure

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

To arms!

I tried various sets of arms and weapons. I like the big two-handed sword, he looks regal and tough, however this is a standard pose for Perry figures and I have already used it on Deveroux and a M@A

  I want something unique, I want this figure to stand out!

 

 

 


I went with this.  I cut the original sword from the right hand and replaced it with a hand and a half sword. I cut the grip from a spare and glued it to the heel of his hand to represent the longer grip of the bigger sword. To hide the slight discrepancy in the relative length of his arms I posed him with hands raised, in a victory salute perhaps or maybe in exhortation. Edward was renowned as a flamboyant character.  

   I like this pose I think it suits what I know of his character and it is guaranteed to make him stand out on the battle field.

 That's Edward of March, what about Edward IV?

Watch this space..

 I'll be back

https://youtu.be/SZdVWKM1ILs

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding conversion work, you have done this warrior from history proud!

    ReplyDelete